鶹 Alert / Alerte de 鶹

Updated: Fri, 07/12/2024 - 12:16

鶹 Alert. The downtown campus will remain partially closed through the evening of Monday, July 15. See the for details.

Alerte de 鶹. Le campus du centre-ville restera partiellement fermé jusqu’au lundi 15 juillet, en soirée. Complément d’information : .

Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)

On this page:Draft SOPs for review |Analgesia|Anesthesia|Surgery| Euthanasia|Experimental Guidelines|Animal Care |Veterinary Care | Monitoring Log template |Occupational Health and Safety|Farm SOPs| Controlled drug SOP |Controlled SubstancesRequirements| PHAC Biohazard info| ALPHA Certificate| 鶹 Animal Incident Report Form |Template Crisis template

Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) provide a detailed description of commonly used procedures. SOPs offer investigators an alternative to writing detailed procedures in their protocol.

Note that the use of the words ‘should’ and ‘must’ in these SOPs is consistent with their defined use in Canadian Council on Animal Care (CCAC) guidelines. The term 'should' indicates an obligation, for which any exceptions must be justified to, and approved by, an Animal Care Committee. The term 'must' indicates a mandatory requirement.

Any deviation from the approved procedures must be clearly described and justified in the Animal Use Protocol application in AMS. Approval of the protocol indicates approval of the deviation from the SOP for that project only.

The following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) were created and/or revised by the Veterinary Committee and approved by the Animal Policy and Welfare Oversight Committee (APWOC), 3 鶹 FACCs or a specific FACC where applicable. They are reviewed every 3 years at most.

The SOPs here are mainly for 鶹 sites. If you are in an affiliated Research Institute, please contact your FACC Coordinator to find out if these (or which) apply to your site and where to find your local SOPs.

The Coordinator at:

  • The RI-MUHC (MGH and Glen site) as well as the Shriners Hospitals for Children can be reached via this facc.admin [at] muhc.mcgill.ca (email).
  • The Douglas Mental Health University Institute can be reached via this tara.thomson.comtl [at] ssss.gouv.qc.ca (email).
  • The Lady Davis Institute of the JGH can be reached via this darleen.element [at] ladydavis.ca (email).

If you have questions or have a recommendation to make, please send an animalcare [at] mcgill.ca (email) or talk to the Veterinarian in your area.








Experimental Guidelines:

Animal Care:

Veterinary Care:

Occupational Health and Safety:

Farm SOPs are approved by the MacDonald Campus FACC only.

Dairy Facility SOPs

Requirements on Record Keeping, Storage and Disposal of Controlled Substances

Refer to the 鶹 Environmental Health and Safety Office's SOP 401 on Cannabis and Controlled Substances.

Research Institutes of affiliated hospitals should contact their local Safety Office or EHS Officer.

For 鶹 researchers and instructors:

• All Principal Investigators (PIs) intending to use controlled substances (and cannabis) need to contact the domenic.dulisse [at] mcgill.ca (EHS Cannabis & Controlled Substances Officer) for notification and exemption processing. The PI's information is added to EHS' records and follow ups are performed. All research and teaching involving animals MUST have an approved Animal Use Protocol before being considered for an exemption.
• The EHS' MyLab software migration will allow for this information to be kept and tracked within MyLab. Permits will be issued to PIs using cannabis and controlled substances.
• Training for cannabis and controlled substance will be mandatory for all users. They will be granted a permit contingent on successful completion of the training which is every 2 years.
• An inspection checklist has been created specifically for cannabis and controlled substances in labs. PIs must follow Health Canada’s directive on physical security, while 鶹 veterinarians do not (they are responsible for the safe keeping of their drugs and reporting to Health Canada).
• A Cannabis compliance committee is being set up with the Director of EHS and will allow for better decision making and department awareness. This will be done for controlled substances in the near future.
• Controlled drug suppliers have been added to the 鶹 Market Place (MMP) and follow the same rules as radiation materials. Note that all orders must be approved by the cannabis and controlled substance officer.
• A revised SOP #401 for controlled substances is now posted on the EHS site. There is more information on EHS' website for the Cannabis and Controlled Substance Compliance Program (CCSCP) , Environmental Health and Safety, 鶹.

PHAC Biohazard Information

The Public Health Agency of Canada has implemented since December 2015, new regulations pertaining to the use of Human Pathogens and Toxins. Background information can be found on and details on the regulation .

In order to work with Biohazardous Materials in a laboratory setting, researchers must complete an “Application to Use Biohazardous Materials”. These applications are reviewed and approved by 鶹's Environmental Health and Safety Office (not the Animal Care Committee). Approval of the Application means that the researcher is compliant with the Biosafety Program which includes lab inspections and training.

Useful links (these two are also available as free Apps for a smartphone or tablet as well):

  • (CBS), 2nd edition.
  • Public Health Agency of Canada (PSDS).

鶹 Animal Incident Report Form:

File鶹 Animal Care Incident Report Form

Template for a Crisis Management and Communication Plan SOP:

FileSOP TEMPLATE for Crisis Management Plan

Back to top